I had Scotts 18th birthday party here at work on Saturday night, 100 teens.
It all started off quite nicely all the girls arrived looking fabulous and the guys not looking too shabby either. All appearing to be well mannered and politely acknowledging myself as Scotts mum and event manager of the venue. I can't say I wasn't warned, but I had once again gone into that shut down mode where I refuse to delve into negative generalisations about teens and how they behave at parties.
In this job I am constantly learning new ways of coping with situations 'on the job' and Saturday provided me with some humdingers. Because the kids were 18 we had a cash bar with free coca cola etc. and the kids could order spirits/beer etc. and pay for it if they wanted - they wanted! We have 2 wine fridges in the service area of the marquee which was basically 'unmanned' but generally one of us was in and out of there. I caught a guy helping himself to a bottle of champagne. With all these big people around (including me) why had we not thought to empty the fridges?? I relieved him of his shopping and sent him on his merry way without too much to say as I didn't and still don't see him as a thief, it just looked like a opportunity. We then got very smart and locked the fridges or so we thought. About an hour later we heard a tremendous bang and DH burst into the service area to catch 3 girls 'breaking into the fridge' and one of them had a bottle in her hand - again champagne, he ran after them but they got away after knocking a few people down. I stopped the party for a few minutes and announced what had happened, most of the kids appeared quite shocked and some of them wanted to pay for the champagne. Bless (love that Brit saying).
So all that drama over, I get called outside to find a teen completely unconscious and lying in green vomit. Mummy mode kicked in and I sorted her out and called an ambulance. I love this country - I didn't need to worry about whether it was going to arrive and ever more important to me, having lived in SA I didn't need to worry about who would be footing the bill. The ambulance took 15 mins (we are out in the sticks) but in the meantime a father collecting his daughter from the party just happened to be a Dr. so he took over within minutes of me discovering her and sat with her until the ambulance arrived. The guys were brilliant, hooked her up to all sorts of stuff, on a stretcher and gone in 10 mins. The girl (18) had drunk a bottle of apple sourz and is bulimic so hadn't eaten either. So drama over......or so I thought....
Monday, 5 September 2011
Since my last post
- I had a quiet birthday and turned 49. I am having a age crisis though, seriously struggling with this aging thing. Seriously I am a bit ashamed really I feel pathetic on top of it.
- I had a couple of friends around for snacks and drinks and I got completely bored half way through. Oh dear.....
- Scott bought me a bottle of Michael Kors perfume, its divine and must suit me as people mention it all the time.
- Scott turns 18 very soon and is having his party at the hall (work) OMG brat!! Then all his 100 friends are camping on the croquet lawn.
- I tried some clothes on at a boutique yesterday that I fancied, I looked completely ridiculous - changing your style at 49 doesn't work regardless of the upcoming fashion. I cant do knitted dresses, gorgeous leggings and even more gorgeous knee high boots!
- Went to London last weekend for 2 days - LOVED it so did DH, we really need to do it more often, it was the first time we have actually walked around, shopped and chilled there. We went on New Years Eve for a few hours but this was our first real trip since we got here.
- My friend/neighbour that I have grown quite fond of turned on me! She has had a stroke so she has a few problems but I witnessed them for the first time and it wasn't pretty - we are no longer friends - pity. Her husband said to me it was only a matter of time.
- By 10am this morning I had ordered a book I couldn't get on Kindle, clothes and shoes and will probably have them tomorrow or latest Tuesday. I am addicted to online shopping.
- I have a big event coming up at work and I am starting to stress!! The making or breaking of me.
- I am off now for 2 days as one of my best friends from Joburg is coming to stay. I should be cleaning the house instead of doing this, anything to avoid hard core housework.